Our vision is to live creatively in supportive and sustainable relationships with each other, the neighborhood, and the environment.
Hearthstone Cohousing is a cohousing community in the old Elitch Gardens site in Northwest Denver. Cars are kept tucked away, allowing for car-free gatherings and safe play areas for kids. It is surrounded by many conveniences within walking distance.
Our community offers…
- A safe, nurturing environment for raising children among residents of all ages, from toddlers to retirees.
- A healthy balance of privacy and community.
- Opportunities to share books, tools, ideas, & more.
Why people enjoy living in Hearthstone
"We moved here after visiting many communities because…Hearthstone is the best."
"My efforts to improve the way I impact the planet are multiplied just by living here."
"My kids say the reason they love living here is they have friends of all ages and are able to play outside or inside with friends spontaneously."
What is Cohousing?
Cohousing is a European inspired concept. Residents work together on the planning, design, and management of their neighborhood. The Hearthstone community features private townhouse-style dwellings with individual kitchens and living/dining rooms. Residents also share a yard and a common house.
The focal point of a cohousing community is the Common House. Functioning like an extension of each of our units, it is a shared space that serves as the heart of the community. Our Common House’s features include:
- Children’s play area
- Large dining room
- High capacity kitchen
- Guest room and bathroom
- Weight and workout room
- Multi-use meeting rooms
- Laundry room
- Craft area
- Woodworking shop
Hearthstone Cohousing Community is . . .
76 residents in 33 households:
49 adults, 20 children (age 2 through high school), 7 adult children who grew up in the cohousing community. 11 seniors. 15 units occupied by original owners who moved in in 2001.
What are we most proud of?
- Our wonderful kids who can always find someone to play with.
- Delicious and diverse shared meals attracting 30-50 residents and their guests.
- Beautiful Common House with its gourmet, commercial kitchen and lovely indoor and outdoor dining areas. We reserve it for private parties, meetings, retreats, etc.
- "Wake the Neighbors"– a musical group of residents who’ve gotten so good that they play for weddings and parties.
- Gardens and landscaping — planted and lovingly maintained by residents.
- All the ways we help each other. To name a few: babysitting & driving kids; providing meals & support when someone is sick; sharing tools, equipment, & artwork; watering gardens; caring for pets; sharing professional expertise.
All members contribute
. . . to work that sustains the community, recognizing that ways of contributing vary.
We share community chores and processes so that members have energy to share their talents and passions.
We acknowledge and express appreciation for the work others do.
Are there homes available?
Hearthstone maintains a waiting list. Those on the waiting list will be contacted as units go on the market.
Homes vary from one to four bedrooms, and have both finished and unfinished basements. Price varies accordingly and is determined by the seller. The price includes use of the common house and all its amenities. There are monthly homeowners’ dues to help maintain the shared facilities and grounds. Prices are competitive with the surrounding neighborhood.
How Can I Join?
To become a future resident of the Hearthstone Cohousing Community,
please help us get to know you:
- Attend a community meal.
- Participate in community meetings (second Sunday of every month, 3:30 – 5:30 PM).
- Request to be on the waiting list.
- Share your intentions with your Hearthstone neighbors.