Skip Navigation
  • County Officials
  • County Departments
  • Courts
  • County Information
Development Services

211 Jackson Street | Bastrop, Texas 78602 | (512) 581-7176

[email protected]

For information on how to file a Public Information Request, please visit

MyGovernmentOnline Permit Application System

Bastrop County implemented the MyGovernmentOnline Permitting and Inspection software on January 7, 2021. The software allows customers to upload permit applications and supporting documents online vs. hard copy submittals, and communicate with Development Services staff through messages to address questions and facilitate permit issuance.

Development Services Permitting Policies

Adopted 10/28/19 and Revised 08/22/22 by the Bastrop County Commissioners Court

1. Only external development requires a permit. Interior building renovations on existing
footprints do not require a permit.

2. At a minimum, all applications require:
Proof of property ownership
Dimensioned site plan showing the proposed improvements
Copy of the survey or plat
Additional information may be requested as needed.

3. Permits will not be issued for non-compliant property unless there is a health or public
safety reason, such as failed septic system, and as approved by department head.

4. When a public wastewater system is not available, applications for a Development Permit and an
OSSF (Septic) Permit are required at the same time for the following:
A manufactured home, modular home, tiny home, or a recreational vehicle to be used as a
All homes placed on a property with an existing residence or residences
Any lot less than 1/2 acre
Any lot with less than 1/2 acre outside the floodplain
Any lot entirely in the floodplain
All commercial development

5. Floor plans will be submitted with OSSF permit applications.

6. An addition to an existing structure that includes bedrooms requires septic review. If a
revised septic design is required, the development permit will not be issued until an application
is made for the revised OSSF system.

7. Fees for IRS recognized tax-exempt organizations and reciprocating governmental entities will
be waived.

8. Fees for permits necessitated by a declared federal emergency will be waived for those
residents rebuilding on the same property.

9. A onetime six-month extension may be granted by the department head if requested 30 days prior
to permit expiration.

Additional Requirements for Single Family Residential Development in the Tahitian Village and Pine
Forest Subdivisions

Drainage exhibits (pre-development and post-development drainage maps) signed and sealed
by a registered professional engineer are required.

Additional Requirements for Commercial and Non-Single-Family Development Permit Applications

1. A Non-Single-Family Application for Development Permit is required. The application fee is
based on the estimated cost of construction.

2. The following additional documentation is required:
Letters of service commitment from water, electric and wastewater (or approved OSSF design)
A site plan review letter from the local Emergency Services District (ESD)
A scaled and dimensioned site plan showing the proposed improvements

3. It shall be policy to maintain zero net increase in storm water runoff rates and to ensure no
negative impacts attributable to new development and redevelopment that increases impervious cover.
A grading and drainage plan with contours prepared by a registered professional engineer showing
existing and proposed conditions is required. The drainage plan must demonstrate no adverse
erosion or off-site drainage impacts due to the proposed development. The engineer will need to
determine if on-site detention is required to meet
these requirements.

Bastrop County Flood Infrastructure Fund Studies

Bastrop County and Halff Associates hosted virtual public meetings on June 14th and 15th, 2022 to share information regarding floodplain studies of the Big Sandy Creek, Piney Creek, and Yegua Creek watersheds. The presentation is available for your review. A survey is also being conducted to collect information regarding flooding. A paper survey is available at this link or the survey can be completed online by using the QR code below.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • When do I need a Development Permit?

    Bastrop County's Flood Damage Prevention Order defines "development" as any man-made change to improved and unimproved real estate, including, but not limited to, buildings or other structures, mining, dredging, filling, grading, paving, excavation or drilling operations or storage of equipment or materials. A development permit is needed for any development. There are three types of development permit:

    • "Class A" permits are issued for all development outside the mapped 100-year floodplain,
    • "Conditional Class A" permits are issued for all development outside the mapped 100-year floodplain but on property within the 100-year floodplain, and
    • "Class B" permits are issued for all development that lies partially or wholly within the mapped 100-year floodplain.

    Please see Floodplain Management for further details.

  • Does Bastrop County issue building permits or Certificates of Occupancy?

    No, Bastrop County does not issue building permits or Certificates of Occupancy.

    Bastrop County has limited statutory authority regarding building codes. Bastrop County Building Code only applies to the construction of residential single-family homes and duplexes. There are no Bastrop County Building Codes for any other uses.

    During the 81st legislative session, the Texas Residential Construction Commission (TRCC) was dissolved resulting in the lack of building code requirements in the unincorporated areas of all Texas counties. The Legislature passed HB 2833, which amended Chapter 233 of the Local Government code by adding Subchapter F. This amendment provided an opportunity for counties to adopt certain building code standards in the unincorporated areas of the county.

    Bastrop County Commissioners Court passed a resolution on September 14, 2009 adopting provisions of HB 2833. This action restored residential building code requirements for certain structures that are built in the unincorporated areas of Bastrop County.

    In accordance to HB 2833, residential construction in the unincorporated areas of Bastrop County shall substantially conform to either the version of the International Residential Code published as of May 1, 2008 (which is the 2006 International Residential Code) or the version of the International Residential Code that is applicable in the county seat (City of Bastrop). HB 2833 requires that the decision of which code to use is the builder’s choice.

    These building code requirements apply in the unincorporated areas of Bastrop County for the construction of a new single-family house or duplex or the construction of an addition to an existing single-family house or duplex (if the addition will increase the square footage or the value of the existing residential building by more than 50%).

    There are three required inspections. The required inspections must be performed at: (1) the foundation stage, before the placement of concrete; (2) the framing and mechanical systems stage, before covering with drywall or other interior wall covering; and (3) completion of construction of the residence. For remodeling construction to an existing residence, the inspection requirements shall be performed as necessary based on the scope of work of the construction project.

    In accordance with the provisions of HB 2833, as adopted by Bastrop County, the County is not involved in the inspection process for the residential structure. The builder is responsible for contracting to perform the required inspections with: (1) a licensed engineer; (2) a registered architect; (3) a professional inspector licensed by the Texas Real Estate Commission; (4) a plumbing inspector employed by a municipality and licensed by the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners; (5) a building inspector employed by a political subdivision; or (6) an individual certified as a residential combination inspector by the International Code Council. A builder may use the same inspector for all the required inspections or a different inspector for each required inspection.

    It is the builder’s responsibility to (1) comply with these requirements, (2) have the required inspections performed, and (3) maintain copies of the inspection reports. There is no requirement to provide copies of reports to Bastrop County.

  • Does Bastrop County issue sign permits?
    No, Bastrop County does not regulate placement of, size or content of signs on private property in the unincorporated area. The City of Bastrop requires permits for proposed signs in the City's ETJ. Additionally, TxDOT requires permits for certain signs on the state highway system.
  • Does Bastrop County have zoning?

    No, Bastrop County does not have general zoning authority in the unincorporated areas. Under the provisions of the Airport Zoning Act (Chapter 241, Texas Local Government Code) a small area in the northwest part of the county is subject to airport zoning per an Order Regulating and Restricting Use of Property near the Austin Executive Airport.

    There is zoning inside the incorporated limits of the Cities of Bastrop, Elgin and Smithville.

Bastrop County Courthouse
804 Pecan Street
Bastrop, TX 78602
Phone: (512) 581-7100

Privacy Policy - Copyright © Bastrop County, Texas 2016. All rights reserved.