Barbara E. Lichman, Ph.D. has an extensive and successful record representing airports, municipalities, developers, and other public and private clients in litigation and administrative proceedings under Federal Aviation statutes such as the Airline Deregulation Act and Airport Noise and Capacity Act; the California Public Utilities Code governing land use in airport environs (Aeronautics Act); and federal and state environmental statutes including the National Environmental Policy Act, the Federal Clean Air Act, the Federal Clean Water Act, the California Environmental Quality Act, and the California Coastal Act. She has also successfully represented clients in litigation involving land use issues such as inverse condemnation, development agreements and specific plan amendments. Dr. Lichman holds a doctorate in urban and regional planning.
Dr. Lichman’s experience is both national and international. As a Registered Federal Lobbyist, Dr. Lichman successfully lobbied and testified before Congress on behalf of aircraft owners and operators on issues including the grant of investment tax credits for noise reduction of aircraft engines. She also served as counsel to Air AAA Group, a consortium of international architectural, engineering and construction companies in their airport development activities at Pudong Airport, Shanghai, China. Dr. Lichman served as managing partner of Chevalier, Allen & Lichman, LLP, for sixteen years, and has been at Buchalter for six years.
Dr. Lichman’s clients include public entities, airport owners/sponsors, land developers, major power generating companies, airport fixed-base operators (FBOs), and aircraft owners.
Aviation & Airport Development Law News Blog
United States Courts of Appeals
- ▪City of Mukilteo, Wa. v. U.S. Dept. of Transp., 815 F.3d 632 (9th Cir. 2016)
- ▪Tinicum Township, Pa. v. U.S. Dept. of Transp., 685 F.3d 288 (3rd Cir. 2012)
- ▪41 North 73 West, Inc. v. U.S. D.O.T., 408 Fed.Appx. 393 (2nd Cir. 2010)
- ▪City of Las Vegas, Nev. v. F.A.A., 570 F.3d 1109 (9th Cir. 2009)
- ▪County of Delaware, Pa. v. Department of Transp., 554 F.3d 143 (D.C. Cir. 2009)
- ▪City of Olmsted Falls, Ohio v. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 435 F.3d 632 (6th Cir. 2006)
State Courts of Appeal
- ▪Olmsted Falls v. Jones, 152 Ohio App.3d 282 (Ohio App. 10th Dist. 2003)
U.S. District Courts
- ▪SilverWing at Sandpoint, LLC V. Bonner County, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 165000 (D. Idaho 2014)
- ▪City of Olmsted Falls v. U.S. E.P.A., 266 F.Supp.2d 718 (N.D. Ohio 2003)
- ▪City of Olmsted Falls v. U.S. E.P.A., 233 F.Supp.2d 890 (N.D. Ohio 2002)